9014 15th Ave. NW, Seattle WA 98117
koehnline.com and james119.deviantart.com
- 1991-2007: Freelance Illustrator/Designer (see list of published work) Book and magazine cover art and text illustration, as well as posters, t-shirts, mousepads, postcards, notecards, bookmarks, signage and advertising art.
- 1991-2007: Bill Laswell/AXIOM Records 18 CD cover art commissions for groundbreaking producer, composer and musician, and related promotional materials for Axiom label (formerly a division of Island Records).
- 1991-2007: Art Director, Autonomedia Publishing Collective, Brooklyn. Mostly book covers and text illustrations. Published over 100 edge-pushing works of fiction, radical politics and philosophy. My own projects include a book of my collage art, an American history anthology (co-edited), and a wall calendar (concept, design, illustration), now in its 15th annual edition.
- 2002: UWTV Production, University of Washington, Seattle. Animation and motion graphics for permanent public art installation at the new UW campus in Bothell, WA.
- 1987-1990: Professional Information Assistant, Skokie Public Library. Responsible for all aspects of collection development in the Fine Arts and Popular Arts at public library, Skokie IL.
- 1985-1988: Co-curator and manager, Axe St. Arena, Chicago. A collectively-run gallery and performance venue.
- Raster/vector graphics: Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator
- Page layout: Quark, InDesign
- Digital video: After Effects, Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Cleaner
- Animation/interactive: director, flash, poser, cinema 4d
- Digital audio: pro tools, sound forge, vegas, acid
- Web design/coding: html, css, bbedit, imageready, dreamweaver
- General: word, excel, filemaker pro
- October 2000-September 2002: Art Institute of Seattle. Two-year Multimedia and Web Design Program. Graduated with honors.
- 1979-1990: Harry Bouras. Private studies with well-known Chicago artist, critic, teacher and radio personality, until his death in 1990.
- 1976-1980: Minneapolis College of Art & Design and Columbia College, Chicago. Studied painting, drawing, printmaking, film-making, optical printing, animation, art history, writing and art criticism.
- Magpie Reveries: The Iconographic Mandalas of James Koehnline (Autonomedia, 1992)
- Autonomedia Calendar of Jubilee Saints: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 editions (Autonomedia). Includes concept, research, illustrations and cover art
CD Cover Art
- 2002: Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell: Radioaxiom: A Dub Transmission. Axiom.
- 2000: Bill Laswell: Emerald Aether/Shape-Shifting Shanachie.
- 2000: Coffeeshop. Coffeeshop.
- 2000: JAIA: Blue Energy Dakini.
- 1999: Material: Intonarumori (Axiom.
- 1999: Praxis: Collection (Douglas.
- 1998: Ekstasis: Wake Up and Dream (Cyberoctave.
- 1998: Sacred System: Nagual Site (Wicklow.
- 1996: Mysteries of Creation (Axiom.
- 1995: Praxis: Metatron (Subharmonic.
- 1994: Praxis: Sacrifist (Subharmonic.
- 1994: Material: Hallucination Engine (Axiom.
- 1994: Hakim Bey: TAZ (Axiom.
- 1993: Nicky Skopelitis Ekstasis (Axiom.
- 1993: Bernie Worrell: Blacktronic Science (Gramavision.
- 1993: Reality Scare: A Game of Damage (Gray Matter.
- 1993: Umar Bin Hassan: Be Bop or Be Dead (Axiom.
- 1992: Ritual Beating System. Bahia Black, Axiom label/Island Records.
- 1992: Transmutation Praxis, Axiom.
Book Cover Art
- 2000: Sex, Drugs & the Twinkie Murders. Paul Krassner, Loompanics
- 1999: Ploughing the Clouds; The Search for Irish Soma. Peter Lamborn Wilson, City Lights.
- 1998: Escape From the 19th Century. Peter Lamborn Wilson, Autonomedia.
- 1998: Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections. John Zerzan (editor), Uncivilized.
- 1998: The Ibogaine Story. Dana Beal & Paul De Rienzo (editors), Autonomedia
- 1995: Zerowork, the Anti-Work Anthology. Bob Black & Tad Kepley (editors), Autonomedia.
- 1995: The Unholy Bible. Jacob Rabinowitz, Autonomedia.
- 1995: Format and Anxiety. Paul Goodman, Autonomedia.
- 1995: Disneyland of the Gods. John Keel, Illuminet.
- 1995: Pirate Utopias. Peter Lamborn Wilson, Autonomedia.
- 1994: AXIOM promotional book and cassette. Axiom.
- 1994: Radiosermonettes. Moorish Orthodox Radio Crusade, Libertarian Book Club.
- 1994: Future Primitive. John Zerzan, Autonomedia.
- 1993: Extraterrestrial Friends & Foes. George Andrews, Illuminet.
- 1993: The Damned Universe of Charles Fort. Louis Kaplan, Autonomedia.
- 1993: Letters. Essays & Premonitions. Also text illustrations. Antero Alli, Vigilantero Press.
- 1993: Gone to Croatan: The Origins of Drop-Out Culture in North-America Also text illustrations. James Koehnline & Ron Sakolsky (editors), Autonomedia.
- 1993: Sacred Drift. Also text illustrations. Peter Lamborn Wilson City Lights Books
- 1992: The Nature of Things: The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects. Lyall Watson, Destiny Books
- 1992: The Gemstone File. Jim Keith (editor), Illuminet
- 1992: This Is Your Final Warning. Thom Metzger, Autonomedia
- 1991: TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone.Hakim Bey, Autonomedia
- 1988: The Supersoul Honking Blues Looseleaf Bible. Debbie Schwartz-Doppelganger, Verlag Golem.
- Substance Digizine, (CD-ROM magazine) Number 1, 1995. Interactive multimedia gallery of fifty artworks and audio interview
- Semiotext(e), Number 14, The Science Fiction issue. Portfolio of collage work
- Xerolage, Number 24, 1994. The James Koehnline issue
- Axcess, Volume 1, Number 2, 1994. "James Koehnline, Prophet of Jubilation: Ecstatic Art, Antinomianism and Alternative History" by D. Whitworth
- Magical Blend, Issue 41, December 1993. Cover art and featured portfolio
Magazine Cover Art & Illustration
Utne Reader, Gnosis, Mondo 2000, Toward 2012, Magical Blend, Neo, Science Fiction Eye, Semiotext(e), Anarchy, Fifth Estate, Talking Raven, Alternative Press Review, Factsheet Five, Axcess, Back Brain Recluse, Griot, Moorish Science Monitor, Mad Farmers' Jubilee Almanac, Sin, Thorazine, Dharma Combat, Brick, World Letter, Drunken Boat, Beyond the Fringe, Freakout U.S.A., Branches, Seattle L.E.T.S., Left Bank Book Collective (catalogs, 1993-1999), Incunabula Press Catalogue 1990/91, International Blacklist, and many others
- 1996: The Art of James Koehnline.(More Rain Northwest Gallery, Olympia ,WA)
- 1993: Festaludicon: the Collages of James Koehnline. American Bone Gallery: Seattle, WA
- 1994: Fever of Scissors and Glue: The Collage Art of James Koehnline and Freddie Baer. Naropa Institute: Boulder, CO.
- December 1994-January 1995: The Penny University. Seattle, WA.
- 1995: Pistil Books and News. Seattle, WA.
- 1994-1999: Left Bank Books in the Pike Place Market. Seattle, WA.
- 1995: Caffe Vita. Seattle, WA.
- 1995-2000: Recollection Used Books. Seattle, WA.